All application materials, including online application form, essay, official transcript(s), two recommendations, as well as commander’s verification of active duty or qualified documentation of past service (e.g. Dept. of Defense Form DD-214, Discharge Documents, Active Service Documents, etc.) must be submitted and postmarked by the application deadline: July 25, 2022. Please follow the directions for the required materials to the letter, as in a recipe.
List of Required materials:
- Commander’s verification of active duty or qualified documentation of past service (e.g. Dept. of Defense Form DD-214, Discharge Documents, Active Service Documents, etc.)
- An official transcript from any prior educational program.
- Two letters of recommendation (on letterhead for reference letters) with titles and contact information are also required. Letters of recommendation should demonstrate why a Trident Scholarship should be awarded to the specific student. Letters of recommendation must be dated within the last 6 months of application submission. Using the same support letter from a previous application or for another program does not qualify. Letters should be from an individual who can readily attest to your talents and/or military service, community service, etc. Examples include: academic personnel, military colleagues, community service personnel, etc.
- The application requires a short essay (2 pages or less, typed, double-spaced) highlighting why the recipient should be considered for this scholarship. The essay must address future plans as related to the applicant’s selected program of study and must include pertinent information in assessing an applicant’s other areas to include community service, activities, and work experience. The applicant must also address specifically how the Army has impacted their life and/or goals.
Additional Essay Recommendations:
- The essay is VERY important and it is the applicant’s opportunity to introduce themselves to the committee. It must be grammatically correct and without spelling errors.
- If an applicant is a prior recipient, that should be indicated in the essay.
- The essay must be written for the specific year of the application. (For example, a previous application may not use the same essay.)
- Accomplishments and community service items do not necessarily have to be ongoing or within the past year; applicants may choose achievements and contributions within the past 3 years to support and clarify their plans for the future.
- All materials MUST be labeled with the applicant’s name and postmarked by July 25, 2022 for consideration and selection.
- All materials should be sent directly to: AWF Scholarship Committee P.O. Box 5030 Fort Lee, VA 23801
Any application not meeting all required criteria WILL BE DISQUALIFIED and NOT CONSIDERED.