2014 Legacy Scholarship Closed
Stay tuned for the announcements of the winners in mid-March!
The U.S. Army Women’s Foundation is the premier center for educational excellence, the national network for today’s Army women and a dynamic advocate for telling the history of Army women.
The U.S. Army Women’s Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Fort Lee, Virginia. The mission of the Foundation is to recognize and honor the service of women in the Army and to support the Army Women’s Museum at Fort Lee.
The Foundation’s Legacy Scholarship program recognizes the importance of education and helping recipients to achieve their educational goals. The Legacy Scholarship program offers financial support to Army women and their lineal descendants in four areas: Technical Certificate programs, Community College coursework, Undergraduate Degrees, and Graduate Degrees. Scholarships are awarded only to coursework from accredited institutions. Scholarships are based on merit, academic potential, community service, letters of recommendation, and need.
The Legacy Scholarships are available for tuition assistance for technical certification, coursework at community college level or four year academic institutions and graduate schools.
- Community College and Technical Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $1,000.
- College, University, and Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $2,500.
- Applicant must be a woman who has served or is serving honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve, Army National Guard or the child of a woman who served honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Community College Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in an accredited community college.
- Technical Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in accredited Technical Certificate granting institution.
- College and University Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and have completed 30 credit hours of course work and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must have achieved an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and must be enrolled in or accepted into a Graduate level program.
Selection of the Legacy Scholarship recipient(s) will be made by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the U.S. Army Womenís Foundation. Each level of scholarship award will be evaluated and considered separately by the USAWF Scholarship Committee who will also determine the number of scholarships awarded for each level and the amounts of each scholarship. Army women will be considered in one category and the children of Army women will be considered in a separate category. In this way, peers will compete with peers.
The scholarship funds may be used to assist with tuition, fees, books and school documented room and board. Scholarships are awarded only to accredited institutions. The funds will be sent to the academic institution for documented expenses and must be used in the academic year awarded. These funds may not be used for prior academic expenses.
- Application materials, application form, essay, transcript, recommendations, proof of matriculation at designated accredited academic institution, as well as commanderís verification of active duty or documentation (Department of Defense From DD-214) of the sponsor or womanís service must be postmarked by 15 January 2014.
- The application must be accompanied by a short essay (2 pages or less, typed, double-spaced) highlighting why the recipient should be considered for this scholarship and address future plans as related to the program of study. This essay should also include pertinent information in assessing other areas to include community service, activities and work experience.
- An official transcript from their college or university is required. For new applicants to a community college, high school transcripts or GED documentation must accompany the application.
- The application must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation with titles and contact information. Letters of recommendation should be from school advisors, counselors, dean of students, etc. For college, university, and graduate program applicants, one instructor in the applicantís program of study is preferred. Letters of recommendation should demonstrate why a Legacy Scholarship should be awarded.
- Applications and all materials must be postmarked by the deadline for consideration and selection
- All materials should be sent directly to:
P.O. Box 5030
Fort Lee, VA 23801