New in 2015!!! The Army Women’s Foundation now requires all applications to be submitted online. Click here to go to the AWF Legacy Scholarship Application Form. The form should take less than 15 minutes to complete.
2015 Legacy Scholarships
The U.S. Army Women’s Foundation is the premier center for educational excellence, the national network for today’s Army women and a dynamic advocate for telling the history of Army women.
The U.S. Army Women's Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Fort Lee, Virginia. The mission of the Foundation is to recognize and honor the service of women in the Army and to support the Army Women's Museum at Fort Lee.
The Foundation Legacy Scholarship program recognizes the importance of education and helping recipients to achieve their educational goals. The Legacy Scholarship program offers financial support to Army women and their lineal descendants in four areas: Certificate programs, Community College coursework, Undergraduate Degrees, and Graduate Degrees. Scholarships are awarded only for coursework from accredited institutions. Scholarships are based on merit, academic potential, community service, letters of recommendation, and need.
The Legacy Scholarships are available for tuition assistance for certification, coursework at community college level or four year academic institutions and graduate schools.
- Community College and Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $1,000.
- College, University, and Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $2,500.
- Applicant must be a woman who has served or is serving honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve, Army National Guard or the child of a woman who served honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Community College Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in an accredited community college.
- Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in accredited Certificate granting institution.
- College and University Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and have completed 30 credit hours of course work and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must have achieved an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and must be enrolled in or accepted into a Graduate level program – Masters or Doctoral.
Selection of the Legacy Scholarship recipient(s) will be made by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the U.S. Army Women's Foundation. Each level of scholarship award will be evaluated and considered separately by the USAWF Scholarship Committee who will also determine the number of scholarships awarded for each level and the amounts of each scholarship. Army women will be considered in one category and the children of Army women will be considered in a separate category. In this way, peers will compete with peers. Past AWF Legacy Scholarship recipients may receive a total of two awards in any category except Graduate Studies which may only receive one award. For example a recipient may be selected and awarded one year for the University Scholarship award and the next year applies as a graduate student. They are eligible still for the one graduate studies award.
The scholarship funds may be used to assist with tuition, fees, books and school documented room and board. Scholarships are awarded only to students attending accredited institutions. The funds will be sent to the academic institution for documented expenses and must be used in the academic year awarded. The academic year of the award begins the Fall semester after the award announcement. These funds may not be used for prior academic expenses.
If you are selected, AWF Legacy Scholarship recipients are to provide a) photograph and statement for use in newsletter, website, social media, and marketing materials, etc. and b) follow-up information and feedback for AWF research and marketing.
- All application materials, including online application form, essay, transcript, recommendations, proof of matriculation at designated accredited academic institution, as well as commander's verification of active duty or qualified documentation of the sponsor or woman's service (e.g. Department of Defense Form DD-214) must be submitted and postmarked by January 15, 2015.
- Online Google application form can be found at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1a_iSzyb4RuLC9W5PWno-msu52oZg9p4DXfscnNcB2vM/viewform?usp=send_form This form is required and must be submitted online. Please select which scholarship you are applying for and submit for only that scholarship.
- The application requires a short essay (2 pages or less, typed, double-spaced) highlighting why the recipient should be considered for this scholarship and address future plans as related to the program of study and include pertinent information in assessing other areas to include community service, activities, and work experience. Specifically address how the Army has impacted your life and/or goals.
- An official transcript from their college or university is required. For new applicants to a community college, high school transcripts or GED documentation must accompany the application.
- Two letters of recommendation with titles and contact information are also required. One letter of recommendation must be from a school advisor, counselor, dean of students, etc. Letters of recommendation should demonstrate why a Legacy Scholarship should be awarded to the specific student.
- All materials must be labeled with applicant's name and postmarked by the deadline for consideration and selection.
- All materials should be sent directly to:
P.O. Box 5030
Fort Lee, VA 23801