U.S. Army Womenís Foundation Legacy Scholarships
The U.S. Army Women’s Foundation is the premier center for educational excellence, the national network for today’s Army women and a dynamic advocate for telling the history of Army women.
The U.S. Army Women’s Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Fort Lee, Virginia. The mission of the Foundation is to recognize and honor the service of women in the Army and to support the Army Womenís Museum at Fort Lee.
The Foundation Legacy Scholarship program recognizes the importance of education and helping recipients to achieve their educational goals. The Legacy Scholarship program offers financial support toward community college coursework and undergraduate degrees to Army women and their lineal descendents. Scholarships are based on merit, academic potential, community service and need.
The Legacy Scholarships are available for tuition assistance at the community college level or four year academic institutions. At this time, scholarships for graduate work and/or an additional undergraduate degree are not part of the program.
Community College/Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $1,000.
College/University Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $2,500.
- Applicant must be a woman who has served or is serving honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve, Army National Guard or the child of a woman who served honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Community College/Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate or GED equivalency with a GPA of at least 2.5 and enrolled in an accredited community college or institution no later than fall of session 2013.
- College/University Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university, have academic credits by summer session of 2013 for junior or senior standing and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Selection of the Legacy Scholarship recipient(s) will be made by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the U.S. Army Women’s Foundation. Each level of scholarship award will be evaluated and considered separately by the USAWF Scholarship Committee who will also determine the number of scholarships awarded for each level and the amounts of each scholarship. Army women will be considered in one category and the children of Army women will be considered in a separate category. In this way, peers will compete with peers.
The scholarship funds may be used to assist with tuition, fees, books and school documented room and board. The funds will be sent to the academic institution for documented expenses and must be used in the academic year awarded. These funds may not be used for prior academic expenses.
- Application materials, application form, essay, transcript, recommendations, proof of matriculation at designated accredited academic institution, as well as commanderís verification of active duty or documentation (Department of Defense From DD-214) of the sponsor or womanís service must be postmarked by 1 February 2013.
- The application must be accompanied by a short essay (2 pages or less, typed, double-spaced) highlighting why the recipient should be considered for this scholarship and address future plans as related to the program of study. This essay should also include pertinent information in assessing other areas to include community service, activities and work experience.
- An official transcript from their college or university is required. For new applicants to a community college, high school transcripts or GED documentation must accompany the application.
- The application must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation with titles and contact information. For college/university applicants, one instructor in the applicantís program of study is preferred.
- Applications and all materials must be postmarked by the deadline for consideration and selection.
- All materials should be sent directly to:
P.O. Box 5030
Fort Lee, VA 23801